Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thrifty Thursday : Salty, quick and yummy!!

I love cole slaw but not the North American style. In Brazil, we blanch our cabbage. We also don't shred it, we slice it so it ends up in long strips.

At my house, I usually buy a whole cabbage and slice it. Then I saute some garlic and olive oil and add the cabbage. I season it with salt and pepper or a little cumin and saute everything until the cabbage is wilted. It takes about 10-15 minutes. I use high to medium heat so that the cabbage gets a bit braised. You have to watch and stir constantly. It's almost like cooking on a wok, you can't just walk off.

The children and the husband love the cabbage like this and it's still crunchy and has awesome flavor.

Now for the Thrifty Thursday tip... the other day I was craving some salty salad but did not have any lettuce or other green leaves. I did have some left over sauteed cabbage in the fridge. So I came up with this recipe... (Please know I don't measure anything. I do like Rachel Ray, I eye bawl everything.)

In a bowl I mixed:
Shredded carrots, (about 2 medium ones)
chopped celery, (2 stalks diced really small)
sliced Kalamata olives (probably about 12 big ones)
cilantro (one handful chopped)
and my left over cabbage. (I would say it was about 3-4 cups already cooked)

I seasoned it with some of the water from the kalamata olives, extra virgin olive oil and pepper. No need for salt since the cabbage was already seasoned and the water from the olives is pretty salty. Here is the result:


It was really good. It was crunchy, refreshing, savory and yummy all at the same time!!

It was such a great success that I made it again this time with some variations:

- Instead of celery I added sliced water chestnuts.
- Added some chopped grilled chicken breasts and 1 tablespoon of Mayo.
I served it on crackers instead of a side dish.

Here is my challenge to you: what salad can you whip up with ingredients you have right now in your fridge or pantry?

For more Thrifty Thursdays go HERE.

Be blessed,
Tereza

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks SO yummy! I am going to have to try it!