Monday, November 3, 2008

How do you scrapbook?

How do you scrapbook? Do you use sketches? How do you begin?

For me to create a layout I have to begin from scratch. I usually have a paper, or an embellishment, a photo that I want to use and then I create the layout. I like to look at sketches and other layouts for ideas but I rarely follow a sketch. Actually I get pretty aggravated trying to copy a sketch. I think that is one of the reasons that I haven't participated in any Card challenges yet. :)

So anyway, this past week I put together 2 layouts. The first one is called "Babies are such a nice way to start people". The trigger for this layout was the stamped Sarah Kay image that I water colored. I just fell in love with that little girl. She was my starting point. From there, I decided I wanted to make a layout for babies, maybe sleepy babies, or a baby in pjs. So next I picked the quote and then the vintage K&C0. papers. I played with the mats for hours. Yes, I actually put all the main components of a page on top of it and move them around until I find the "perfect" look.

I cut the flower and the heart by hand. I doodled the border of both mats and added the rub ons. I love the look of stitching, so I added that, as well as the tearing and distressing.

I also hand cut the half scalloped circle under the mats from my own template. When I began assembling the flower I was looking for something different to use as the center. So I picked some of the little balls that made up the trimmings I used on the mats, and circled them with some of the raffia I was using. I realized it looked like a chickadee's nest. Now, how unexpected was that!!! Without premeditation I got a bird's nest on my layout. And I thought: how perfect!! :)





The second one is called Home Goodness. I think it would be perfect for cooking with the children or family dinners, even Thanksgiving!

this one began with leftover papers from the Family Album I made last month. The black paper with the flowers were cut out from a 12x12 page and I saved it to use on a layout. So again, this piece was the starting point for this page. I felt the whole layout needed to be balanced, so I added another black "piece" to the other side of the layout. I then added die cut stickers to balance the colors and create a title.

I incorporated the stitching to the mats this time, instead of the background of the layout. I used the papers left from the Family Album to create the mats and added journaling tags and other embellishments. I really like how this layout turned out.






I would love to hear your comments and how you scrapbook. :)

Don't forget to go vote. Tomorrow is a big day here in the USA!!!

Tereza

No comments: