Friday, January 6, 2012

Easy Homemade Bread

Homemade bread! Yummy and healthy and EASY to make!


About a month ago I decided to try making bread at home. I have 4 children, we eat bread everyday. We eat whole wheat bread and if you do too, you know it's pretty expensive. I stay away from the bread that is made with high fructose corn syrup. My options are not many and the price is high.

After a bit of research, I found the 5 minute Artisan bread recipe. Didn't have to purchase the book, but just browsing a bit on the net and you can find video tutorials and blog posts with lots of reviews and the recipes.

I enjoyed the bread but it was a bit tough for everyday sandwiches. So I went back to the drawing board (the net) and found this recipe. After a couple of tests I tweaked it and now this is the recipe I use:

1 1/4 C warm water (I use hot tap water)
1 T dry active yeast
1/4 C honey or 1/3 C sugar (I have used granulated sugar and brown sugar. Now I use pure sorghum only)
2 C whole wheat WHITE flour
1/4 C wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
2 T yogurt or buttermilk
1 T olive oil
1 T vinegar
1 C bread flour

Look at my rolling pin! It's an old bottle! :)


The original recipe uses potato flakes and nonfat instant dry milk, two items that I do not use everyday and don't have in my pantry. I really wanted to use a recipe that incorporates everyday ingredients. The potato flakes are added to make the bread soft so I played around and found that the same amount in bread flour worked perfectly.

I double the recipe above (my version) and make 3 loaves each time. They last us about 3 days and so I only make bread every 3 days.

Crystal is a great teacher. Her videos show how to make the bread. It's easy, no need to knead at all!!! I don't have a kitchen aid or a dough hook. So I use the technique taught in 5 minute Artisan bread to mix my dough. Crystal's timing is also perfect. The bread rises every time and comes out soft and yummy!!



My bread ready for the oven after 1.5 hours to rise!
After some calculation, I figured my bread is probably costing about $1.50 a loaf. It's a pretty good price. the cheapest I have found bread at the store was $1.80. Now more than cost, what keeps me making bread every 3 days is knowing the nutritious value of it and what actually goes in it. There are no secret or hidden ingredients in it.

I hope you enjoy and try it.

Blessings,
Tereza

No comments: